#LoveOzYA Throwback Thursday (#7)

Throwback Thursday edition is our way of spreading the love of backlist Aussie books that you might have missed. We'll hopefully be posting a new book each week, and we'd love you to join us!

Sarah's pick


3089188
Title: The Simple Gift
Author: Steven Herrick
Released: January 4th 2000 
Publisher: QUP
Add it to Goodreads 

I'm not proud.  I'm sixteen, and soon to be homeless.  
Weary of his life with his alcoholic, abusive father, sixteen-year-old Billy packs a few belongings and hits the road, hoping for something better than what he left behind. He finds a home in an abandoned freight train outside a small town, where he falls in love with rich, restless Caitlin and befriends a fellow train resident, "Old Bill," who slowly reveals a tragic past. When Billy is given a gift that changes everything, he learns not only to how forge his own path in life, but the real meaning of family.

why i chose it

I didn’t discover Steven Herrick until earlier this year thanks to fellow AusYABloggers Mod Kelly. Within the first few pages of my first foray into Herrick’s work I was in love with his writing. I’ve gone on to devour all his books that I can get my hands on, with The Simple Gift being my favourite so far, and Slice a close second.

I thought that maybe if Herrick had slipped under my radar he may have slipped under other peoples as well. Using The Simple Gift as a Throw Back Thursday seemed an opportune way to try and rectify this.

The Simple Gift is beautifully heart-warming. I just sat and hugged the book once I was finished reading it.
Three people from different walks of life are brought together by circumstance, the result being that they all end up making each other’s life better. Written in free verse it is a captivating story of friendship and second chances, of healing and new love.

Follow Sarah at The Adventures of SacaKat, Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads


What's your pick for this week? Share on your blog, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or in the comments below! Make sure you tag your posts with #AusYABloggers so we can share the love.

Post a Comment

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.